Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Art Sub Tub


Art Sub Tub
(teacher sick day life-saver)

Over the summer I decided to make my own Sub Tub.  The first couple years of teaching were overwhelming and I never thought about this amazing idea of having a box of ready to go sub plans.  I am very rarely out of school.  Especially because I absolutely hate making sub plans. 

 I use to sub for middle schoolers when I first got out of college.  I know what it's like to be a sub and show up with unclean plans or a very confusing novel of directions.  I'm very picky about leaving easy and simple directions for my sub and students so the day runs smoothly without me.  Yes, I'm realizing what a control freak I am about my class.

This amazing idea came from Pinterest.  I'm sure everyone at school will miss seeing me drag my sick self in to school at the break of dawn to make sub plans when I feel dreadful. And I know I'll miss hearing shrieking from the poor faculty members who run into me outside the copy room when I have absolutely no makeup on.  It's a scary start to a sick day.  

What's in the Tub:
I have all kinds of fabulous papers in my tub.  Worksheets divided by grade levels, coloring pages by artists, games, behavioral papers, basic information, dice, and a small notebook with everything you need to know about the art room. 

The notebook (with everything you need to know about the art room) contains:
-Contact information (in case they have any questions)
-Schedule
-Fire Drill/Tornado Drill/ Lockdown Drill Instructions
-List of phone extensions for the building
-Art Norms (that the kids should all know and would never dream of not following)
-List of consequences
-List of where items in the room are found 
-Behavioral worksheets for students that need they to reflect on poor choices they made for my sub
-List of books and movies they can use


I'll post sub worksheets and ideas in another post. 








No comments:

Post a Comment